Wills, Trusts, and Probate

The Law Office of Gregory Wilder, PLLC can come to your home to do the will signing ceremony. The Law Office of Gregory Wilder, PLLC does house calls!

If your will is improperly drafted, or if all of the formalities required in a will are not precisely followed, the Will may not stand up in court, and the government will decide who gets your property after your death. People who use pre-printed forms and fail to follow the proper procedures required to draft a will usually do not have their estate distributed as they wanted.

If you die without a valid will, it will usually be quite expensive for your heirs to go through heirship proceedings. A search for heirs is sometimes required, and is often quite expensive.

If you have a valid will, on the other hand, you can determine exactly to whom and how your estate is distributed. You are free to give money or property to charity, to disinherit anyone you do not want to receive anything, and to divide your property as you choose.

After your death, if you have a valid will, it will be “probated.” This means that it will be taken to the probate court in order to determine if the will is valid. If it is valid, then your estate should be distributed as you wished in your will.

An alternative to having your will distribute your estate is to have a “living trust” and a “pour over will.” A living trust is usually a trust that you create and run until you die. At your death, your “pour over will” will devise (give) all of your property to the trust, and the trust will then be handled by your designated trustee or another trustee according to the trust formation documents. The process of probating the pour-over will and getting the property into your trust is usually the cheapest probate action, as there is only one beneficiary to the will (the trust).

The Law Office of Gregory Wilder, PLLC offers flat fees for our will, trust, and probate work, as follows:

  • $350 - Custom Will (includes Will signing ceremony).
  • $1,800 - Living Trust with Pour Over Will (you are responsible for costs).
  • $4,000, or 5% in, 5% out in some cases - Independent Administration (you are responsible for costs).
  • $2,500 - Probated Will with Muniment of Title (you are responsible for costs). Your case must qualify.
  • $1,275 - Probate by Small Estate Affidavit (you are responsible for costs). Your case must qualify.
  • $4,500-$10,000 - Heirship Proceedings (more if your case is extremely complex; you are responsible for costs).

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *